Often while on board I take little moments
when I see patients, to stop and really imagine myself as them. I imagine what
it is like to live as they do with the condition that they have. When I do
this, I am often overwhelmed with compassion for these people. It also
reminds me of how strong they are to have gone through what they did, and what
an honour it is to even have known them. Please just take a moment and stop and
think about what it must be like for these patients and their families…
 |
Burn contractures (unable to exend knees) |
 |
| Lipoma |
 |
| Cataracts |
 |
| Bowed legs |
 |
| Goiter |
 |
| Windswept legs |
 |
| Arm burn contracture |
 |
| Noma |
I wrote a little bit about what I imagine
it would be like for a patient with a large tumour on his/her face or a woman
with a fistula. Keep in mind that these are not the stories or thoughts of a
specific patient, though my interpretation is based off of the conversations
and lives of our real patients in the hospital.
A patient with a large facial tumour:
I imagine what it would feel like to have
people stare wherever I go. And not in a friendly way, but eyes full of disgust
and fear as I walk down the street. They cross to the other side and avoid
looking directly into my eyes, as if they could contract what I have. Those who
are bold enough to talk to me, call me names or even tell me that I deserve to
die. I know it’s hard for my family to be with me. I know I shame them because
many believe that I am cursed or have done something to deserve what I got. I
don’t remember doing anything that bad, but I believe them because that is all
I know. I ask every God for forgiveness, and beg Him to heal me. But it
continues to grow, and the tumour slowly starts to narrow my airway. I have to start tilting my
head a certain way in order to just breathe normally. I am no longer able to
lie flat on my back or walk longer than 10 meters without stopping or
re positioning to catch my breath.




Fear starts to build as I realize that my
airway is slowly closing. My daily thoughts are consumed by the reality that I
will slowly suffocate to death, and I can’t think of anything but that simple
fact. To avoid the constant panic attacks I try to keep busy, but my condition
prevents me from doing a lot. Unable to do enough daily work because of the
incredible exertion, I become an even bigger burden to my family. Dreams of my
siblings are put on hold, as all the money and resources are given for my
cause. We visit doctor after doctor, all with the same result; that my tumour is
too big and I will die if I receive surgery. Some say they would attempt to
try, but I would never be able to afford a fraction of what it would cost. My
mom sends me to beg on the streets in hopes of raising some money. I hate it
because it draws more negative attention, and I would rather just hide. My teeth
are no longer able to chew the food I used to love. Therefore I no longer feel
like eating, as it is too much work to prepare and swallow. I only eat just
enough liquid foods to survive. The
tumour pulls at my skin and is painful. Often I can’t sleep because of it. The
weight of it causes my back and neck to be sore as well. Talking becomes too
much work. My tongue is pushed too far upwards by the tumour to make clear
sounds. I decide to be quiet rather than repeat myself constantly because
people don’t understand what I am saying. I slowly become completely cut off
from society. I isolate myself from my family even, as I convince myself they would
prefer I just die. That everyone would be happier without me. Yet I am still
here. A ghost of what I used to be. Struggling each day to do the very basic
human functions; breathe, eat, and sleep. Day after day. Year after year. And
it will only get worse. I can’t help but ask myself, why am I here? What have I
done to deserve this?
 |
|
A patient with a fistula:

I can imagine feeling the incredible shame,
loss, and pain as my child slowly dies in my womb. Unable to push him out, I
failed at the one thing that gives me value in my village: producing a child. The
pain and trauma of spending 5 long days in labour without pain relief will stay
with me forever. And I can't even start to process the loss of the baby I have been carrying for 9 months. After finally passing out from the pain, the women of my
village had to force the deceased baby out of my vaginal canal, causing more
damage then what was already done. Now I have a hole in my bladder, causing a constant
stream of urine to run down my leg. I try hard to find things to absorb the
urine, as I can’t afford to buy diapers or pads. I make all the fabrics I have
smelly and do washing constantly, but we don’t have a lot of water and it can
be dangerous to bathe and get water as it is far away. I give up trying so hard
and just let the urine flow. I wake up constantly feeling wet. I drink less to
prevent more from streaming down, and often get dehydrated and have very low
energy because of it. I try to sit in a public place, but people avoid me
because of the stench and because there is a pool of urine starting to form
below my chair.

I want to go to church, but there I am also not welcome. I am
told I am not fit to be in the house of God. My husband is disgusted with me
and abandons me after realizing it is a problem that cannot be fixed. He
doesn’t notice I am gone though, because he has 3 other perfectly fine wives.
My family rejects me, as they have been told I must have done something to
deserve this. I believe them and blame myself, accepting their rebukes and
harsh words. This mindset is all I have ever known. I have no husband anymore,
no children, my family has abandoned me, I have never been to school, and I
have never been outside my village. Too scared to leave, I isolate myself at
the edge of the village from the people who raised me but are now rejecting me.
I live outside for a few weeks, begging for food, before mustering up the
little energy I have left to build a little shelter for myself. No one will
help me. I live close by, but I no longer belong to the only community I have
ever known. My life feels like it is over, yet I am only 14 years old.

Patient after patient. Story after story, of where so many of them reached a point of hopelessness. But as I have learned, there is always hope. And for many, it came in the form of Mercy Ships. One of our surgeons who has been here for over 30 years, Dr. Gary Parker, gets asked all the time how he deals with the fact that there will always be millions of people who need help. He always responds, "but we can change the life of the individual, one person at a time." And that is it. To change and bring hope to even just one person, makes this whole operation worth it. Not only can I do it on Mercy Ships though. I pray that I can imagine the lives of many who suffer at home too, and have compassion and inspiration to help one life at a time, whatever that may look like. Here are a couple stories from last year that are so inspiring.
Here is Yaya. A Cameroonian woman who underwent surgery on the ship. Her husband after seeing her for the first time exclaimed, " you have become so beautiful!!"
Here is Esther. A Cameroonian woman in her 50s. She suffered with a fistula for over 30 years before being healed on our ship. I think the photo says it all :)
*This blog does not necessarily reflect or represent the official opinions or ideas of the Mercy Ships Organization.
God help never to forget that all i am and have Is your grace and love
RépondreSupprimer