 |
| Working in the coffee shop! |
I have been given the chance to be involved
with many other activities on and around the ship. I have always wanted to work
in a coffee shop. But going from high school to university to my nursing job,
there was never an opportunity. Here however I have been able to volunteer in
the coffee shop on my time off and serve my fellow crew members. This has been
so much fun and such a great change of pace when I am not working. I also am
doing a lot of sports… I know classic.. I play basketball, soccer, volleyball,
badminton, ping pong, and swim in the ship’s pool. We also go on a lot of local
trips as well. There are times where we can have 2 or 3 days off of work, and
then we make trips to the different areas of Cameroon. I have hiked Mount
Cameroon.. one of the largest Mountains in West Africa!! I have also visited
Kribi a couple of times where we eat local food, relax at the beach, and spend time with some of the amazing people I have met here.
 |
| Volleyball Tournament |
 |
| Volleyball Tournament |
 |
| Mount Cameroon |
 |
| Mount Cameroon |
 |
| Mount Cameroon |
 |
| Kribi |
 |
Kribi
|
I have also been involved in a lot of other
ministries off the ship. I got the opportunity to go to the Hope Center
numerous times. This facility is actually built by Canadians.. whoop whoop!
This building is for patients to stay pre and post surgery who live far away
and don’t have any relatives living close to the ship that they can stay with.
I have been to church there a few times on Sundays and have visited during the
week to talk with patients and play with the kids. This is such a cool
opportunity as you get to meet your patients before they come to the ship and
see how they are doing after. This helps establish a unique and close bond with the
patients and it is encouraging to see them throughout their process of healing.
 |
| Celebration of sight |
Mercy Ships also arranges other ministries
that crew can do while they are off. I got a chance to go to a local deaf
school in our community. We read them a story from the Bible and helped them
color a picture. Again, I was unable to communicate
well, but it didn’t matter. Almost immediately they accepted us and loved us the moment we walked in the door. We also visit a lot of orphanages. One that I have heard
about, yet have not been able to visit yet, is run by a single woman who takes
care of 48 children all by herself. She has no idea most days where her next
meal will come from for all her children. Her place is also very run down and
her rent is very behind. Yet she has such a strong faith that God will always
provide. Some of our fellow crew members were very moved by this women’s
strength and faith. We were able to raise enough money to pay for all her
debts, give her some food and supplies, and are hoping to build a new house for
them to all live in with proper facilities. This project is already moving
forward and it is such a blessing to be a part of this. I have also been able to go a celebration of sight, which is when all our patients who have received cataracts can come and dance and share a little of their testimony and journey of being blind and then being able to see again! As you can imagine this was an incredible experience!
 |
| Celebration of sight |
 |
| Deaf school |
 |
| Destiny Orphanage |
 |
| The woman who takes care of the 48 children |
 |
| One of the villages |
 |
|
I also when on a boat tour that took us to
a couple villages. These villages were inhabited by Nigerians who were
illegally in Cameroon. One of these groups was a polygamist group. The Chief
had 4 wives and over 60 children. As you can image, the village was mostly kids
running around. Due to being illegal however, there is not much of a future for
these kids. They travel for miles to get drinking water, they survive on barely
anything, and catching fish is there only source of income. They cannot receive
medical attention because they don’t have papers and may get arrested if they
try. Sometimes the girls will get married off when there are just 11 or 12
years old. Then they work for their husbands and produce children for them. In
some cases the men don’t even work at all. Visiting these villages made the
stories of my patients all the more real.
Many of our patients are from these types of villages. One of them got
married off when she was 12 years old to her father’s friend, and she gave
birth to a child at 14 and then suffered with a fistula for 3 years before coming
to us. One of our other patients had a similar story and was 1 of 11 wives to a
man in her village. It is heartbreaking and surprising how common it is. These
women are often very uneducated and feel they have very little worth. Most
don’t understand English or French, and only know their own dialect. And there
are around 250 dialects in Cameroon, which can become very isolating. They work
for their husbands, and are often given nothing in return. So when they do
develop fistulas, they can be easily ex-communicated and replaced. The stories of our women can be very heart breaking, but I am always so amazed at how joyful they are in the wards. I am blessed to have the opportunity to love these incredible people.

|
|
Prayer points:
1. Please pray for our women's health program. Due to many circumstances, we are having trouble finding the women who need fistula surgery. We know they are out there, but due to these patients going into hiding, our arrangement with the screening process with the government, language barriers, and accessibility we are having trouble getting in touch with them. Please pray they find their way to our ship
2. Our plastic ward has opened these past couple weeks. Here we do a lot of burn contractures and other facial reconstructions. Due to these surgeries however, these children and adults are in a lot of pain. Please pray for fast recoveries and motivation for these patients to continue following their treatment plans. Especially for the children, they don't aways understand the importance of moving even when they are in pain.
3. Pray for our relationships with our fellow crew members, patients, and the people of Cameroon. Things are not always positive and easy, so instead of becoming negative towards one another, pray that these situations brings us closer to each other and that we are an example of the love Christ has shown us. That He gives us patience, kindness, selflessness, love and understanding in all these relationships.
4. Pray for Destiny Orphanage and that the process of building a new facility goes smoothly. Here is a youtube link that shows more about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOKszZqAERY&feature=share
5. Please pray as I enter the holiday season that I do not get too homesick ;)
As always feel free to message me if you have any questions!!
Love you all and thanks for reading!!!
Stephanie
Commentaires
Enregistrer un commentaire